We have important news about your Zoho CRM! Last year, via email, we informed our customers that version 1 of the API from Zoho CRM would be deprecated due to the launch of version 2, which was launched in February 2018. The deprecation of version API 1.0 already happened on December 31st, 2018, while its sunset date will be on December 31st, 2019. Here we explain how this affects your Zoho CRM.
Deprecation Date of Version 1.0: December 31, 2018
- Issue fixes, API support, and enhancements for version V1 (meaning the previous version) will not be taken up beyond the deprecated date. All the V1 API methods will be marked as deprecated.
- The V1 APIs used in your existing code will still work even beyond the deprecated date, and will become non-operational only after the Sunset Date mentioned below
Sunset Date of Version 1.0: December 31, 2019
All old API methods will not be operational beginning on this date. This means all your codes written based on V1 will stop working.
What Do You Need to Know About API 2.0?
The latest version of Zoho CRM APIs rolled out on February 2018. That is a major upgrade on the existing APIs which includes changes in API call methods, output responses, and more. The new APIs use simple HTTP methods like GET, POST, PUT and DELETE. Data format for input and responses are the same, i.e JSON objects. This makes it possible to send or fetch large amounts of data with greater accuracy as compared to the XML format.
The latest version of Zoho CRM’s API can do the same as the previous version and much more. We recommend that you begin to use the new APIs, since the previous version is already deprecated. For more information, click here to consult Zoho’s help documentation.
Zoho CRM Features That Use API V2.0
- OAuth2.0: This protocol allows you to share specific data with any application while keeping your usernames and passwords private. This protocol provides users with a secure and easy way to use authentication.
- Connections: The Connections feature is a simple authentication mechanism used to invoke any third party applications’ REST APIs and get access to your authenticated data from your functions or widgets.
- Functions: Zoho CRM Functions help you to update the data in related CRM modules or third-party applications by executing simple program scripts. With functions, you can program scripts using Deluge Script (powered by Zoho Creator), associate them to workflow rules, custom buttons, related lists, schedules, and more.
What does API V2.0 has that Version 1.0 doesn’t?
- Better security using OAuth 2.0, which comes with scope for each API call. This ensures that even if tokens were disclosed it can’t be misused, since the tokens are valid only for an hour. We have also added multi-DC support.
- The daily limit of API calls have been revised and expanded to 100,000 calls per day. (For the Ultimate Edition, the limit is 200,000 per day).API V2.0 follows REST standard and facilitates easy JSON parsing, in which all APIs follow a similar response structure.
- There is a new API dashboard for better usage analysis.
- API Names have been introduced so that the changes in names (labels) of custom fields and custom modules won’t affect your existing integrations.
Click here to consult Zoho’s documentation about API Transition and Differences to migrate your existing API V1 code base to API V2.0.
It’s important to keep in mind the dates and facts mentioned in this article. That way, when the time arrives, your team won’t be surprised by this update and you’ll be able to continue your business operations without problems.